Yadu Rajiv is a game designer, developer, a curator and evangelist for independent games.
In 2011, he co-founded Hashstash (now MyyHashstash), where he designed and developed multiple award winning games. After Hashstash, Yadu worked as a Senior User Experience Designer at RedBus for a short period. Later he moved on to teach user experience design, web design, game design and game development at Srishti Institute of Art, Design and Technology for 5 years after which he joined BYJU’S as a Lead Game Designer in 2020. After his tenure creating games for the Osmo platform for young children, he returned to focus on building free to play games with PlaySimple Games as a Lead Game Designer in 2021.
He has been building and supporting game-design and development communities since 2008 and is currently working on gamedev.in. Yadu has more than 15 years of experience in Game Development, Teaching and User Experience Design. He writes about game design, game UX and development on Twitter under his handle, @yadurajiv as well as on his blog.
Yadu is the author of Developing Turn-Based Multiplayer Games with GameMaker Studio 2 and NodeJS which was published by Apress. He has donned multiple hats, as an organizer, a speaker and a panellist on multiple occasions at the India Game Developers Conference since 2013. He has been a Keynote Speaker at the Jam Jam Festival organized by the Finnish Game Jam held in Helsinki. Yadu was also selected to be one of the IGDA Foundation’s Next Gen Leaders of 2020. He was recently selected as one of @GIbiz’s Top100 Game Changers of 2020 as well. He also serves as a member of the Executive Committee for Global Game Jam since 2021.
- Destination Solitaire (2021 – present)
- Lost and Found at the Mall (2021)
- Wyverndell Express (2020)
- Rhizome (2017)
- Badass (2017)
- Wayfarer (2016)
- Circulets (2013)
- Developing Turn-Based Multiplayer Games with GameMaker Studio 2 and NodeJS – Apress, 2018
- How to Learn Flixel – tutsplus.com, Mar 2013
- 5 Tools to Develop AAA Games – Linux For You, Feb 2010.
- Getting Started with Game Development – Linux For You, Dec 2009.
Conferences and Awards
- Featured in POC in Play #SAHMGames100 list as part of South Asian Heritage Month, 2021
- Putting India On The Global Map – IGX Creators Summit, Moderator, 2021
- Hand-made Game Scenes – The Game Arts International Assembly (GAIA) symposium, Speaker, 2021 | (Video)
- Games Industry Biz Top 100 Game Changers, 2020 | (GI 100 List)
- IGDA Next Gen Leaders 2020, GDC 2020
- Jam Jam Festival, Keynote Speaker, Helsinki 2019
- Game Design Education, Panel, NGDC 2017
- Tales from Game Designers: Things we learned the hard way, Panel Moderator, NGDC 2017
- Evil Game Design Challenge, Speaker, NGDC 2016
- Caveman Game Design Challenge, Workshop, NGDC 2016
- Reality Check: Ground Realities of Being Indie, Panel, NGDC 2013
- Using Open Source for Game Development, Speaker, India Game Developer Summit 2010
- Executive Committee Member, Global Game Jam since 2021
- Visiting faculty, mentor and jury member at NID R & D Campus Bangalore since 2016
- With Srishti, helped organize India’s first Independent games festival – Indie Game Shindig – https://bit.ly/IGD2016_Archive
- Organised game jams online and in different cities in India called Build Your Own Game Jams – BYOG – since 2010
- Worked with NASSCOM/IGDC to organise BYOGs during their annual Game Developer Conference since 2011
- Helped organise meetups, Demo Days and run the Bangalore chapter of the International Game Developers Association (IGDA)
- Helped organise the Global Game Jam Bangalore, 2013 – Present
- Wrote articles related to game development on tutsplus.com
- Helped build a community to foster game development, Indie Gamedev India – InGDIn
- Helped organise physical game jams as IGDA Bangalore with NID Bangalore
- Helped organise India’s first physical game jam as IGDA Bangalore with Swissnex India
- Helped organise osscamp – an open source software camp, with workshops, talks and install fests talks across India
- Master of Design (M.Des) in Design for Digital Experience, National Institute of Design (NID)
- BA in English Language and Literature, St Alberts College, Kochi, Kerala